Magento 2.3 SMTP Recommendations

Hi all,
Had anyone any recommendations for SMTP extensions for Magento 2.3? I’m planning on using AWS SES (no particular reason besides hosting is with AWS and nice to have everything on once account). So far I’ve looked at two and contemplating one of the paid extensions.

1. Mageplaza SMTP - Free but not currently working with 2.3. Also, responses in the Marketplace Q&A section have dried up in the last few months so support is perhaps questionable.

2. Ebizmarts SMTP - Free and supports 2.3, however it doesn’t support PHP 7.2 so I’ve been unable to install this one.

3. Mageside SMTP - $129 but states support for 2.3. I’ve logged a question regarding PHP 7.2.

Anyone have any other recommendations or experience with SMTP extensions? Anything to watch out for or issues during installation?

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up on those issues. I deployed a production setup last week, and have been holding off upgrading from 2.2.7 to 2.3 until a lot of these kind of bugs are ironed out. I always wait a few months with the big updates.

Anyway, I was about to recommend Amasty SMTP extensions - Purely because my experience with their support has been pretty good. However, I just saw the price and can no longer recommend it. £249!!

The only other one I’ve seen is by Magepal. I don’t recall ever coming across them and have zero dealings with them - But it’s free. Make sure you scroll down to the “Download now for free” button, because they display a $89 price above that for custom work.

Good luck

1 Like

Checking out Magepal. Documented the install steps below, if it helps anyone.

Magento 2.3
PHP 7.2
Developer Mode Enabled

Step 0:
Backup / take a snapshot / etc. :crossed_fingers:

Step 1:
Add module to requirements

composer require magepal/magento2-gmailsmtpapp

Composer package details from Free Community Edition download link.

Output:

Using version ^2.6 for magepal/magento2-gmailsmtpapp
./composer.json has been updated
Loading composer repositories with package information
Updating dependencies (including require-dev)
Package operations: 1 install, 0 updates, 0 removals
  - Installing magepal/magento2-gmailsmtpapp (2.6.1): Downloading (connecting...Downloading (100%)         
Writing lock file
Generating autoload files

Step 2:
Check the status of the added module (expected disabled by default)

bin/magento module:status

Output:

List of disabled modules:
MagePal_GmailSmtpApp

Step 3:
Enable the new module.

bin/magento module:enable MagePal_GmailSmtpApp

Output:

The following modules have been enabled:
- MagePal_GmailSmtpApp

To make sure that the enabled modules are properly registered, run 'setup:upgrade'.
Cache cleared successfully.
Generated classes cleared successfully. Please run the 'setup:di:compile' command to generate classes.
Info: Some modules might require static view files to be cleared. To do this, run 'module:enable' with the --clear-static-content option to clear them.

Step 4:
Upgrade Magento.

bin/magento setup:upgrade

This resulted in no failures and nothing to import.

Step 5:
Confirm the module is active.

bin/magento module:status

List of disabled modules:
None

Step 6:
Clear the cache

bin/magento cache:clean

Step 7:
Login to admin console and configure.
Stores > Configuration > Advanced > System > SMTP Configuration and Settings

:grinning:

1 Like

Hi @digitalstartup

If I undestand good you will a video about this “problem”? How to install/set up a mail server on Ubuntu for Magento 2.3?
I look forward to you solution so much because I cannot receive system message, etc.

I’ll pencil in your suggestion.

Hi @tomzol,
Have you considered using an external service like Amazon SES? Removes the need to run the email server on your Magento setup. Is there a particular reason why you want to run a mailserver on your server?

Hi @damianduffy

I haven’t considered yet to use Amazon SES because I don’t know this service. As a matter of fact, it is a good choice for me too.
I do not need to run mail server on my magento server. I’m looking for the best and easiest option.
By the way, I use DigitalOcean. I try your recommendation.

Just to quickly weigh in here cause I’m super busy this weekend… I use Mandrill.com for all my SMTP solutions. I think it’s about $10 per month and allows you to track opens, clicks, etc… I use it for Digital Startup emails and all of my Enterprise projects. There’s a free Mandrill extension by Ebizmarts to help you integrate it. You can probably get everything all setup in about 20 minutes or less with no technical skills or headaches.

Enjoy your weekend.

1 Like

@digitalstartup
Thank you Craig to share this solution for us.
I will to try this service.
Meanwhile, I set the newest Mageplaza SMTP extension. It is works, altough I tried to set with my personal gmail and I ran a problem with authentication because I use two factors auth and I think this was the problem when I set my own gmail setting.
Have a good weekend too!

Gud say tomzol
pls i have similar prodblem with my 2.3 i need an extension for stmp…kindly help

For non-developers I think Amasty is a good solution for those more experienced there are some good Github and open-source alternatives. Been using Amasty on many products and holds up to their reputation.

Hi guys,

While back i installed Amasty SMTP extrnsion from M2 which worked fine, however, when I checked the connection yesreday the following message was shown:
5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials c4sm6236881wml.7 - gsmtp

My credensial are defenitely correct.
Can you please advise in this matter?

I’m using G Suite.

aaa…

I forgot to add that Googel send me this:

“Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened. Review your account activity to make sure no one else has access”

Thank you.

Hi,

I worked it out.
There was an additional setting in GSuite to allow less secured apps.

Hello @digitalstratup,

Elightwalk presents the ideal solution for optimizing your e-commerce store’s email communication. Our SMTP extension ensures quick and seamless email delivery, allowing you to effortlessly manage and customize various features. With the ability to modify email headers, conduct test emails, and easy disable/enable functionality, our extension is designed to empower your e-commerce operations. Additionally, benefit from developer-friendly email logging, connectivity to third-party SMTP servers, and the convenience of 100% open-source, multi-store, and multi-language support. Experience a straightforward installation process and personalize your email communication effortlessly with Elightwalk’s SMTP extension.