Connecting to your Web Server via SSH (Mac Edition)

Honestly, I don’t know anything about Mac/iOS. But I’ve been asked ‘How do I connect to my server? I’m on Mac by-the-way’ enough times for me to research and post a response that should help future members.

**If you’re an Apple use that can add value to this post, feel free to reply below. Or if you can throw me some screenshots that would be cool :wink:

What you might need first
Before you can do anything, refer to your Web Host for the following:

• Get your SSH username and password
  • Whitelist your devices IP address (if applicable)
  • Enable SSH Access (if applicable)

Instructions
So, unlike Windows a Mac OS X user can connect to their Web Server via SSH without the need to download something like Putty (for Win). Instead, they have a built in application (like Linux) called ‘Terminal’. The steps below should take you through the process.

1. Go to Applications > Utilities, and open Terminal.

2. Connect to the server by typing the following command:
    ssh username@serversip and pressing Enter. e.g. ssh [email protected]

3. When connecting for the first time, you will be prompted with an authentication message. You’ll want to type:
    yes and then hit Enter

4. You’ll now be prompted for your SSH password. Type it in and hit Enter. Note: For security you will not see any text on the screen as you’re typing the password - This is normal.

From this point on, any commands you type will be universal regardless of what OS you’re using.